Grade Level: 6
Lesson Title: Alien Expedition
Description: Alien scientists have been asked to use a robotic spacecraft to explore a part of the Milky Way galaxy. Traveling from one solar system body to another, the spacecraft explores the surface and atmospheric features, measures the distance from the Sun, and looks for the ability of these planets and moons to support life. The alien spacecraft encounters human technology that culminates in an interesting visit to Earth that leaves the alien craft seriously altered.
1) S6CS3b. Use metric input units (such as seconds, meters, or grams per milliliter) for scientific calculations to determine the proper unit for expressing the answer;
2) S6CS9d. Scientists use technology and mathematics to enhance the process of scientific inquiry;
3) S6E1b. Describe the position of the solar system in the Milky Way galaxy and the universe.
4) S6E1c. Compare and contrast the planets in terms of: size relative to Earth, surface and atmospheric features, relative distance from the Sun, ability to support life.
5) S6E1e. Explain that gravity is the force that governs the motion in the solar system;