|Instructors:||Mr. Chris Showalter||Mrs. Trecia Neal|
|Room:||FSC Bird Room|
Day One: Introduction; Natural Selection; ID Review
Day Two: Hominid Lab; Taxonomy; Vertebrate Mysteries; MAPS Bird Banding
Day Three: *Bird Banding; Vertebrate Homework Due
Day Four: Quiz; Characteristics Lab
Day Five: *Lullwater Park Field Trip;
Day Six: Identification Test; Amphibians (Bio-indicators); *Amphibian Sampling Lab
*Indicates Outdoor Activities
Following this six-day program, you will be able to:
- GPS SB3c. Examine the evolutionary basis of modern classification systems (archaebacteria, eubacteria, protists, fungi, plants, and animals).
- GPS SB5. Evaluate the role of natural selection in the development of the theory of evolution.
- GPS SCSh3. Identify and investigate problems scientifically.
- GPS SCSh4. Use tools and instruments for observing, measuring, and manipulating scientific equipment and materials.
- GPS SCSh5e. Solve scientific problems by substituting quantitative values, using dimensional analysis and/or simple algebraic formulas as appropriate.
- GPS SB4d. Assess and explain human activities that influence and modify the environment such as global warming, population growth, pesticide use, and water and power consumption
- GPS SB4f. Relate animal adaptations, including behaviors, to the ability to survive stressful environmental conditions.
Your grade will be determined according to the following:
- Vertebrate I.D. Lab 30 pts
- Hominid Lab 15 pts
- Vertebrate Homework 10 pts
- Quiz 10 pts
- Characteristics Lab 15 pts
- Field Walk Checklist 10 pts
- Bio-indicator Lab 10 pts
Total Points: 100
Reminders – there will be NO late work accepted without an excused absence from the STT office. Cheating will not be tolerated and will earn all parties involved automatic zeros. *Please wear appropriate clothing for outdoor activities.